The belief that everything in ones body on a subtle level has a series of energy field or center of consciousness. In traditional Tantric teachings these fields are called Chakras. These chakras are along or just in front of the back bone although they may be expressed at external points in the body. The teachings of Chakras date back to religious, yoga and the occult teachings in India, China, and North America. They have some common points but also vary on several levels. The word Chakra itself means wheel in Sanskrit.
These sacred centers are said to carry ones spirit on their journey toward enlightenment. The chakra is a center of energy from which your life force is both received and expressed. Each Chakra that is in a body is believed to govern bodily functions that are near its region on the spine. The 7 Primary Chakras
1. Muladhara - The base or root Chakra, located at the last bone on the spinal cord of the coccyx. Sex organs are controlled here as well as emotional feelings of lust , sensuality, and security.
2. Swadhisthana - The sacral chakra located near the ovaries or prostate. Sex hormones are governed by this chakra it also relates to the emotions in relationships, violence, addictions, emotional needs, and pleasure. It is represented by the color orange.
3. Manipura - The solar plexus Chakra, near the navel. The manipura governs ones digestive system as well as power, spirituality, and growth. The color yellow represents this chakra.
4. Anahata - The heart Chakra, obviously located near the heart. This area governs circulation physically and emotionally it involves complicated emotions like love, compassion, tenderness, equilibrium, and well being. It is noted by the color green.
5. Vishuddha - The throat Chakra located in the throat and neck area. This relates to communication through expression. It is represented by the color light blue. It not only governs communication but also, independence, fluent thought, and a sense of security.
6. Ajna - The brow or third eye Chakra located in the pineal gland. This Chakra is concerned with envisioning and regulating sleep and awakening. It also regulates clarity and intuitiveness. It is represented by the color white.
7. Sahasrara - The Crown Chakra located on the top of the head or the soft spot of a newborn baby. This is considered the chakra of consciousness. It is represented by the color violet and involves inner wisdom and the death of the body.
Several modern healing techniques use Chakra points. Practices like aromatherapy, mantras, Reiki, hands healing, flower essence healing, sound therapy, light therapy, and crystal therapy all rely on balance at your energy points or chakras.
Even in modern, western medicine the concept of Chakras is used. The description of aligning ones spinal column from the base of your spine to the top of your head is based on Chakra ideas. Some New Age practices use colors or lotus flowers to visualize each chakra and place it in alignment.
The Chakras are believed to control energy and to draw it to them. This energy keeps the spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical health of your body balanced.
- Root vegetables like carrots, potatoes, beets, and onions.
- Protein heavy foods like eggs, meats, beans, and tofu.
- Spices like horseradish, chives, cayenne, and pepper
- Sweet fruits like strawberries, oranges, melons, and mangos.
- Nuts like almonds or walnuts.
- Spices like cinnamon, vanilla, sesame and caraway seeds.
Solar Plexus Chakra
- Grains and granola like pastas, bread, cereal, and flax seed.
- Dairy including milk, cheese, and yogurt.
- Spices like ginger, mints, chamomile, and cumin.
- Leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, and greens.
- Air vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, celery, or squash.
- Green tea.
- Spices like sage, thyme, cilantro, parsley, and basil.
- Water, fruit juice, and herbal tea.
- Tart or tangy fruit like lemon, lime, grapefruit, and kiwi.
- Tree growing fruits like apples, pears, peaches, plums, or apricots.
- Spices like salt and lemon grass.
- Dark bluish colored fruits like blueberries, red grapes, and raspberries.
- Red wines and grape juice.
- Spices like lavender, poppy seed, and mugwort.
- Fasting or detoxing.
- Incense and smudge herbs like sage, juniper and frankincense to be inhaled or smoked, never to be eaten.
You can also fuel your chakras through visualization techniques. Similar to meditation, visualization allows energy to flow through your chakras. To do this you must be able to visualize at color, like white light or one associated with a particular chakra coursing through your body.
You have to focus the energy into the Chakra spiritual centers and filling each up with light. Experience doing this will often allow one to feel a physical vibration or warmth as their chakras fill with light. Then they will sense the freedom that has come from spiritual energy clearing out negativity. Just as a negative attitude or sad heart can make one sick, turning those thoughts around can help to heal.
These conceptsThese concepts are taken from ancient cultures all over the world who have used altered mental state healing in the form of trance and music. It is not so different as modern hypnosis and dream analysis, just often more accepted.